Lund

Where we roam with the deer and the antelope.

Christmas in Oregon

Christmas in Oregon

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

October in Oregon

A weekend in Oregon with mom brought the
expected and unexpected beauties of this area.
I grew up on the shores of this river, in this
river, fishing this river, floating this river, leaping
from the bridge into this river. This is where I am
most at home.
As I walked in the misty rain
through the brush to this spot, I came upon
some edgey people living under a tarp in the
blackberry bushes right behind where I'm sitting.
After a moment of concern I thought to myself, "There's
always been creepy people hangin around here. This is
my spot! And, I can share it, as I always have,
with anyone who appreciates the solitude found here."
Heceta Head provided, once again, the beauty
and magesty of the rugged Pacific Coast. We both
have a abiding love for this place. The most excellent
adventure at the coast began with the sight of thousands
of California and Stellar sea lions on the beach below.
Mother was a trooper to take her adventuresome
spirit and sore hips, with a little help, over the guard
rail and to the edge to see this unique and massive
gathering of marine life.
I needed a little closer look. So, down the steep
slope and a belly crawl across 150 meters of rocks
to experience these huge creatures without disturbing
their naps and frolicing on the rocks. To leave this
beach I needed to backtrack and tred lightly. I had a very
close encounter with two sea lions who had snuck back
on the beach behind me to nap in solitude.

Biggest bachelor party on the west coast.
A young healthy male California sea lion, probably
1200 lbs.
The waves were big and there awesome power
expoded as they crashed on the rocks.
Sometimes these explosions engulfed me, and I got
a little wet.
An awesome time with mother.

















































































1 comment:

wendy said...

Great pics, Dad. I love the ones of you and Grandma the most. Thanks for taking the time to put these up, cause I know it took you a while. :)