Lund

Where we roam with the deer and the antelope.

Christmas in Oregon

Christmas in Oregon

Thursday, July 6, 2017

middle and north schell



It was a nice treat to find out that Bill would get July 4th off.  One of Bill's long time desires was to climb North Schell peak, one of the highest mountains in Nevada at 11,883 feet. And it just happens to be less than 2 hours drive from our house.



I am always amazed to find such beautiful greenery, flowers and water in Nevada. Just by gaining a few feet in elevation, the scenery changes dramatically.
We had our own private butterfly garden. We saw several varieties of butterflies.
After following this little creek for half a mile, We thought we might be going the wrong direction. So what do you so with Bill when you think you might be headed in the wrong direction? Why you head straight up a mountain of course.I don't know if you can tell how steep this hill side is, but I can definitely tell you that I was sucking some serious air and mumbling some not so
 nice things to myself. At least Bill found me some awesome walking sticks.
Still trudging and grumbling.
And trudging and murmuring.

Finally made it to the saddle!
Frozen watermelon is the best!




Self timing mishap :)
Take 2

The summit is in sight!


Af
After reaching the summit of what we thought was North Schell, we pulled out the sign in page and read that we had actually climbed Middle Schell. I really DID NOT want to go back the way we came, so we decided to hike back down to the saddle and then up 800 feet to North Schell like a BOSS!
Made it to North Schell!





The hills are alive. . .
I thought I was being smart by freezing my water bladder overnight, but half of it was still frozen all the way down the mountain. Fortunately we found a fresh stream to get a drink from.
Taking a break



I call this ski bumming. 


Nevada can grow big trees!





This hike was so much fun! We did not see a single soul the entire trip. It was a beautiful day and a great hike with an adventurous and wonderful companion.  I think we should do this more often, even though our calves paid the price. . :) 










3 comments:

Brita said...

Wow, two mountains!! It looks so gorgeous! Looks like an excellent way to spend the 4th.

wendy said...

Awwww, the sound of a babbling brook. ๐Ÿ™‚ Those first couple of pictures don't even look like Nevada! And those inclines make my calves hurt just looking at them. Did you "ski bum" mom? ๐Ÿ˜† Also, where is schell peak?

Lisa Harris said...

The Schell peaks are just north of McGill. When you get to the top, you can see Spring Valley where the church ranch is. I didn't have the energy to ski bum.